I'm finally sharing my Acai Bowl recipe with you and trust me...it's going to be your new favorite thing!
If you have been watching my vlogs and following me on Instagram (@kristenmcgowan), you'd already know that I love making acai bowls and it's one of my go-to breakfast ideas! First of all... they are WAY easier than they look, they taste like dessert, and they are packed full of vitamins, protein, fiber and nutrients! Not to mention it's picture worthy appeal!
I first tried an Acai bowl while in Hawaii... and wow... I couldn't stop thinking about them everyday since! It was made in a cute little roadside snack shack, it was packed full of beautifully cut fruit, and kept me full for the whole afternoon!
After lots of experimenting, I've finally come up with an Acai bowl of my own that I love and wake up thinking about! I make it for my boyfriend Christian, and make sure to add extra granola as per his request! I use almost every frozen fruit I can find in my freezer, I try to hide some greens in it some days, and make sure I finish it off with all of my healthy super food nuts and seeds! Acai bowls/smoothie bowls are a perfect replacement for those who enjoy yogurt parfaits for breakfast, but want to cut the dairy from their diet! This has all the same textures and process of assembly, while adding a more fruity flavor!
Trader Joes Unsweetened Frozen Acai puree
Frozen mixed berries
1 Frozen Banana
1 Scoop of vanilla plant based protein (optional)
1/2 Cup of water/almond milk
Dried fruit & nut mix
Avocado: Healthy fats, helps absorb nutrients, heart healthy fatty acids & makes smoothie thick & creamy without adding unwanted flavor.
Chia seeds: Source of omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, calcium and rich in antioxidants.
Flax seeds: High in fibre, low in carbs, supports digestion and source of omega-3
Hemp heart seeds: Source of omega-3, supports digestive health, good for skin, hair & nails.
Cacao nibs: Full of antioxidants, magnesium and enhances mood.
- Acai: Antioxidants, fibre, heart healthy fats and anti-aging effects.
Makes 2 large bowls. Add more or less ingredients if needed.
- Run frozen Acai puree under warm water to soften.
- Once soft, add acai puree pack into blender
- Pour desired frozen fruit into blender
- Cut & peel fresh/frozen banana and add to blender
- Add sliced avocado to blender
- Add one scoop of vanilla plant based protein (optional)
- Add a small amount of water or almond milk. Be careful! do not add too much, you want the smoothie mixture to be thick and creamy!
- Once blended, scoop smoothie mixture out into a breakfast bowl.
- Begin topping your smoothie bowl by adding your desired amount of granola, seeds and nuts!
- Finish it off by drizzling honey on top! This makes the toppings sweet and sticky!
- Grab a spoon, scoop, & enjoy!
The best part about this quick & easy breakfast idea, is that you can change up the ingredients and have a new flavor everyday! This would be super yummy as a banana peanut butter smoothie bowl, or green smoothie bowl! Let me know if you try this out yourself! If you don't have these ingredients, substitute for whatever you prefer! Hope you enjoy :)